Sunday 4 May 2014

Me and More...

In my catching up on the things I've been doing, I have one thing that I'm not as late with as I might be; though to be truthful, that's because it was delayed from last November to this February. So I'm only two-months-ish late rather than six-months-ish late... Shameful: particularly as it's something I'm happy about...
 
The UK cover model with the fabulous smile is the lovely Molly Small...

Me and More Sewing is the follow-up to a book I did in 2010: Me and My Sewing Machine. That first book was a beginner's guide to sewing by machine, and this one is full of next steps, including some hand-sewing techniques, and couture techniques that I've found useful rather than just complicated.

These days, horsehair braid is made from nylon...

Horsehair braid makes a fabulous, stiff, full hem, perfect for circle skirts, though I like it in A-line skirts as well as I love a voluminous look.

Not just for vintage makes...










 This is a retro technique, but it's perfect if you're putting a zip into a fine fabric, such as thin silk – which can be a challenge with a sewing machine. Doing it by hand can be just as quick as by machine, and a lot less nerve-wracking.

One of my great loves...

Piping isn't just for cushions: it looks fantastic on clothes, too. Piped side-seams on a wool skirt; a slash of accent colour between cuff and sleeve; a detail across the back yoke of a coat... And getting piping to sit neatly and smoothly around curves and corners is easy: it really is.

These are called Suffolk puffs in the UK (and in the UK edition of this book: these pages have the US text)...
I am a huge fan of these simple-to-make embellishments, and have added them to all sorts of things, from bags to cushions to skirts. The version with a contrast centre literally makes my mouth water: it looks just like a delicious little cake or sweetie.

I'm an atheist, but something is in the detail...
It's not always the details that matter, but when they are as lovely as this, why would you skip them? This is an easy-to-add touch that'll show in glimpses, and you'll know it's there, which is what matters most.

My favourite form of patchwork...
There are half-a-dozen things to make, ideas to get you started using some of the new skills you've mastered.

Just delicious...
 Including a project using my beloved puffs. And I revel in the contrast between the textures of the stiff silk and soft velvet used here.

The US cover...
C&T are publishing this book in the US (they published the first one, too), but it has a different title and a different cover: I don't have an answer as to why...

2 comments:

  1. Eeek! How exciting! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both covers look great, but a smile really sells a book–especially if it's about demystifying a subject some might find daunting.

    ReplyDelete

Please do speak to me...